Sweet Story, Bitter in the Telling

4 May

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Ah, unrequited love. It’s my favorite kind of love story. It can be so sweet, until it all ends so bitterly.

So it is with Keiko and Henry, who meet and fall in love when they are just 12 years old. He’s Chinese, she’s Japanese, it’s Seattle, and it’s 1942.

In Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Jamie Ford tells the story of these star-crossed lovers, divided by prejudice and separated physically when she’s sent off to a Japanese internment camp.

This novel garnered a lot of good buzz when it was published, and I can only assume it’s because it had a stellar marketing and PR buzz. Why anyone thought it warranted such a commotion, I can’t say.

It’s not that it’s a bad book. It’s a promising debut for what should be a teen book. Ford frames several themes in a way that’s appropriate for middle-school social studies and language arts discussions: complicated father-son relationships, prejudice and tolerance, and assimilation challenges of immigrants. He layers these on top of the historical events of 1942, specifically the Japanese internment of World War II and the deep animosity between the Japanese and Chinese.

He does a fine job of capturing the sights and sounds of Seattle, bringing to life its sights and sounds and giving a distinct feeling of place, but the plot is predictable and flat, lacking the tension that normally keeps me turning the page.

His characters are completely out of character. In 1942, Henry and Keiko are 12, but speak and act as if they’re in their 20s or 30s. Far too sophisticated for their ages. In 1984, Henry is just 52, but is presented as a doddering 80-something.

The ending ties up in a neat little bow. It’s perfect for Hollywood, but for the discerning reader, I’d like more complexity and depth.

Definitely not a keeper.

Enhanced by Zemanta
About these ads

12 Responses to “Sweet Story, Bitter in the Telling”

1. iphone5 ケース November 25, 2013 at 5:24 am #

who have targeted Republicans over the summer,” Hoskins said. drivers in Washington, an Allstate spokesman based in Arlington, “Enjoy beans and lentils for protein, curried sweet potato soup,The Washington Posts Lyndsey Layton about the results on Wednesday:”On the fourth-grade math test, the is made up of reading and math taken by fourth- and eighth-grade students across the country. though,last year showed nearly three-quarters support requiring voters to show photo ID.

2. air max November 25, 2013 at 5:44 am #

Marion – who is the Wimbledon champion – bucks that trend. ? ????? ????) But we’ve never offered any financial support to the project.) ????????? ???? ? ? ? ???? ?? ? ? ??? ??? ? ? ???? bbcrussiancom ( ???,-? (? ? ?? ??? ? ?????
    [url=http://formations.lemoniteur.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/airmaxfr]air max[/url]
    air max

3. doudoune moncler November 28, 2013 at 2:18 am #

pour un toit sur ma tête”, constate M.des armes chimiques8 milliards d’euros en vendant les filiales de Carrefour en .
    doudoune moncler

4. J’étais alors syndicaliste étudiant. Nous avions été frappés par cette démonstration inédite, qui ressemblait aux marches américaines des luttes pour les droits civiques. Mais je me souviens surtout de l’arrivée à Paris de?100 000?personnes. Ce qui nous frappe alors, c’est que cette marche fédère. Dans le cortège, il …Début juin, l’Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale (Inserm) a publié un rapport compilant l’ensemble des recherches et études épidémiologiques et toxicologiques sur les pesticides publiés depuis trente ans. Une synthèse qui a permis à l’Inserm de mettre en avant le lien entre l’exposition professionnelle aux pesticides et certaines pathologies. Alexis Elbaz, directeur de recherche à l’Inserm, qui a participé à ce rapport revient sur ses conclusions.

5. man and van.cheap removals April 19, 2014 at 2:46 pm #

Ԝhat’s Gօing down i’m new tߋ thiѕ, I stumbled upon
    thiѕ I’ve fouոd It absolutely սseful anԀ it has helped me
    ߋut loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & Һelp differeոt customers like its aided me.
    Great job.

6. http://www.playingfield.org May 8, 2014 at 11:23 am #

Great delivery. Sound arguments. Keep up the amazing
    work.

7. Sherlyn May 29, 2014 at 2:46 am #

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your
    blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you
    write again soon!

8. Lovie May 30, 2014 at 9:25 am #

It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m
    happy that you simply shared this helpful info with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

9. No-Win No-Fee June 7, 2014 at 10:08 am #

I read this post completely concerning the difference of hottest and earlier technologies,
    it’s amazing article.

10. http://www.Google.ca July 22, 2014 at 1:14 am #

I’ve been surfing on-line greater than three hours lately, yet I by no means found any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is pretty price enough for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made excellent
    content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

11. what is flat roof July 29, 2014 at 9:31 am #

You are so interesting! I do not think I’ve read a single thing
    like that before. So wonderful to find another person with a few unique thoughts on this subject.
    Really.. many thanks for starting this up.
    This website is one thing that is needed on the web,
    someone with some originality!

12. http://thanhwshb.blog.com August 6, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

magnificent points altogether, you just won a logo new
    reader. What may you recommend about your post that you just made a few
    days ago? Any positive?